Re: Cost of Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 03:20:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
close to $600 for purchases at the Lego outlet (I'll have to dig out my

I spent $134 there, but I could easily have matched Frank if I didn't have so
much of my LEGO budget tied up in 50% off from ZB and 75% off from Ames.  It
was like a never-ending parade of bargains.

Same here. I had $60 worth of SW sets waiting for me at the fest (thanks,
Jeff!!), which was actually more like $240 worth... :-)
So I restrained myself to a 70 bucks buy at the Store. I would've gotten more
if my wallet hadn't been misplaced/stolen/whatever, but I was spending my last
pennies at the Store, and borrowed s'more from my parents. ;-)

I just wish there had been some
Belville damaged :-)

I'll second that- I was oh-so tempted to "accidentally" walk in the storeroom
and, um, *make* some damaged BV sets... >8-)
(Buffie, relax, I didn't... ;-)

The Scala sets, tho', looked very silly and deserted. Seems like they've been
sitting there for a few years... and I wouldn't get those anyway, not even
damaged...

That's good if it's somewhere with AC. (have I mentioned that I was hot?)

Personally, I felt the campus was fine-- after coming back in from the
outside, 'specially after my brief 'wave and shake hands' venture, it was VERY
cool in comparision.
But maybe that's just me. I'm used to warmer-than-that weather... if it's not
humid, it's fine w/me.

Every dollar I spent on lodging was a dollar I couldn't spend on LEGO.  When I
was younger, I spent entire weekends at SF and gaming cons sleeping under
tables and borrowing showers each day, to keep the price down.  I would do
something like that again, to save that much money.  An all-night location
would be very good :-)

Agreed. Next year I'll (perhaps) be able to drive, and (maybe, just *maybe*)
my parents will realize that not everyone on the net is an axe-murderer, and
let me go to the fest alone. In which case, I'll be glad to pay admission for
a 24-7 location and save on lodging (like I said- I can survive a few days
without sleep...). Or maybe I can stay with someone, I dunno.

-Shiri