Re: "Was it worth it to you?" was Re: Cost of Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:30:18 GMT

The money I spent for Brickfest was definitely worth it. I didn't spend too
much since I drove down from Baltimore every day, but I guess $60 for gas,
tolls, and food, not counting $100 or so spent on 2 T-shirts and LEGO
purchases. I wouldn't mind paying $30-40 for admittance to Brickfest and
bringing a prize. Next time I will get a hotel room, but $80 a night is way too
much.
As for the location, better AC is a must; also, more room and a better layout.
Maybe a really big room where everything is, or a central area that you get to
all of the different rooms from. Also, it would be nice if we could get some
kind of catering. Not necessarily a fancy sit-down meal, but a big spread of
different things, sandwich stuff and whatnot.
Why was it worth it?
-Meeting people. It is so much better to actually talk to someone face to face
than online. I loved hearing what people like, what they are building, why they
built something a certain way, etc.
-Seeing amazing stuff. Likewise, all those cool things that people post are
even more impressive in person.
-Showing your stuff. It was great to get so much praise for my buildings from
people who have built such amazing things. I am totally motivated to build
after hearing such positive feedback.
-Trading. Trading was one of the most fun parts of Brickfest. It is great to
give people stuff they want and get great stuff back (Thanks to Chris Busse,
Christopher Weeks, and Janine!). It's also a lot of fun to watch other people
trade.
Overall, I guess what was best about Brickfest was the sense of belonging. It
was just cool to be around so many people who are into LEGO. I think the scenes
like people gathered at the back of the Store like bloodthirsty animals while
Buffy tossed out damaged sets, or helping someone into a giant minifig suit are
things that I will remember for quite a while. Thank you very much, WAMALUG,
and to everyone that came. I will definitely be back!
-Marc Nelson Jr.