Re: Cost of Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:27:08 GMT

Stephen F Roberts wrote:

"Jude Beaudin" <shiningblade@home.com> wrote:

To everyone who came in from out of town and stayed at a hotel,

Can you please list your expences for the weekend (in US dollars) so I can get
an idea of the expences I would incur for attending next year?

My expenses were:

$140 or so, rental of an Isuzu Trooper for 3 days (it's amazing how much
you can pack into a trooper, only a few of the locals brought the same
order of magnitude of volume of stuff as I brought)

$75 or so for gas (travelling from Raleigh NC)

$170 or so for two nights at the hotel (shared two ways for about $85
each for the weekend)

$30-40 for food (I didn't keep too much track)

close to $600 for purchases at the Lego outlet (I'll have to dig out my
two receipts and we can compare and see who spent the most - note that
70%+ of this was on "scratch and dent" items at 50% off - the amazing
thing was that on the trip home, I could still see out the rear window -
I guess I didn't bring enough LEGO). This is the thing you folks who
didn't come REALLY missed out on. The scratch and dent feeding frenzy
took something like 30-45 minutes. People were grabbing small Star Wars
sets by the 6 pack. We didn't even manage to suck it all up. Also, for
those who were upset that they missed out on Nebula Outposts from the GA
store, the VA store has a ton of them (of course we got to get some
scratch and dent ones - I got enough [3 or 4] that during the mad grab
for bricks from the K-8 Sunday afternoon, I was passing white octagonal
wall parts to other folks [the greatest part of my K-8 grabbings were a
good supply of green roof bricks and roof peaks]).

$0.25 for parking (I arrived at 5:50 PM on Friday and had to feed the
meter until 6:00)

$20 for two T-Shirts (they had a big pile left over so I decided to buy
a 2nd since it is the only LEGO shirt I have - I didn't like any of the
shirts that were in the store).

...We hope to pick a weekend soon (current target is 3rd weekend in june, aka June 15-17,
but don't hold me to it (still exhausted and recovering)). But the sooner we post it and
the more we shill it, the more likely people will be able to hook up and share rooms. I
know Chris Weeks and Frank Filz shared and they didn't kill each other to my knowledge, so
the concept is sound :-)

I can't speak for Chris, but I sure had a great time rooming with him.
We had some wonderfull winddown discussions, and had compatible morning
schedules.

One thing which would be good is to try and line up something for budget
accomodations. I'm not sure what others did for accomodations, but I'm
sure many of us would not want to shell out $85 for the weekend for
lodging. Of course I'm sure for the real hard of cash folks that a
corner of one of the locals living rooms would be available (though you
might have to police it for bricks before sacking out or have an
uncomfortable night... :-).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com