Subject:
"Was it worth it to you?" was Re: Cost of Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:33:11 GMT

Stephen F Roberts <wubwub@wildlink.com> wrote:

Bram Lambrecht <braml@juno.com> wrote:

"Jude Beaudin" <shiningblade@home.com> writes:
To everyone who came in from out of town and stayed at a hotel,

Can you please list your expences for the weekend (in US dollars) so I
can get an idea of the expences I would incur for attending next year?

All my money was spent on transportation and food (didn't buy any LEGO,
and someone offered me lodging).  Transportation (plane
ticket+train+metro) was about $185, and I spent about $20 on lunches and
dinners.

...I meant to ask you, "was it worth it?" Its one thing when us older FOls drop $200+ on a
weekend. it hurts, but we can recover, but for the 18-22 crowd, $200 represents several
months of saving effort.

...A 'variation' on that question is 'did you get your money's worth?" And I want honesty
from people here! Course, the fest itself was free, but things like airfare and hotel
rooms can add up (and unfortunately, there are no real cheap hotels in that area, tho it
will be something we look for next time). And its not even counting driving costs for
those who drove here (Charleston SC, Boone, NC, New Jersey, Philadelphia... we had drivers
from several hours in all directions.)  I'm sure everyone would want it to be a bit
cheaper for themselves, but that's a different question :-)

...relatedly, knowing what you know now, how much would you have been happy to pay to get
in? (the place we had this time was free, and free was an important consideration for us,
but if we want more flexibility in the future we will have to consider somewhere we have
to pay for (and in turn, attendees will have to pay for)).

...You can email responses if you don't want to say some things in public forums :-)
Honesty is important for these things.

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
Jain's Guide (http://wildlink.com/lego/jain)