Re: "Was it worth it to you?" was Re: Cost of Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:48:57 GMT

Kevin Loch wrote:

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

(many good suggestions snipped)

someone(s) clearly in charge of the fest.  It sort-of seemed that Stephen,
Denise, and Kevin (in that order) were "in charge."  I think it would be
better for each of them, and others, to have clearly (to all of us) delineated
roles.  If each event has a coordinator then the flow of information can be
clear and responsibilities are straight-forward.

For the record, the only thing I was in charge of was setting up the
stuff I brought, and keeping the webcams running.  Denise and Stephen
(in that order IMHO) took on most of the responsibility for organizing
and running the show.  I think they did a great job with what they had to work
with.  The coreography was weak, but keep in mind that
it's a Festival and not a conference.

The order of Denise and Stephen is actually an example of some of the
problems with understanding who was in charge. I wasn't aware that
Denise was top dog until arriving and Stephen mentioning something about
it. Outside of that mention, the evidence I saw overwhelmingly pointed
to Stephen as top dog.

Another suggestion - if an organizer is interested in a major event, it
would be a good idea to try and arrange the planning such that the
organizer can be made free for all but emergency type situations during
that event. I have to admit that it was somewhat distracting having
Stephen coming and going from the pirate game on a constant basis. I
think it is important for the organizers to be able to have committed
time for having fun, and it is more fair to all to allow this.

In this sense, having a better schedule would have helped. Often Stephen
was leaving to announce, and prod into happening, events. With a more
fixed schedule, Stephen could have more let the chips fall where they
lay (i.e. it's the participants responsibility to know that demo X is at
2:00 and it is the responsibility of the presenter to realize that it's
2:00, of course if the demo room is full of participants and the
presenter is not to be found anywhere (or is resisting being pulled away
from what they are involved in), someone can then come and find the
organizer and get their help.

Just some thoughts.

--
Frank Filz