Re: Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:07:16 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Frank Filz writes:
I haven't dealt with my pictures yet, but I thought I'd drop in some
reflections on the past weekend.

I'll join in, if you don't mind.

(my pics should be on later tonight-- working on it).

I'm really glad I marked off the weekend for Brickfest back when the
date was first announced. I really had a great time, and it's nice to
finally put a face to so many of my fellow Lugnetters.

Same here! I had an all-around fab time.

We didn't end up doing much pirate set up (though we did get out many of
the ships and ooh and aah over them). Lindsay Braun showed up a little
later with his Gloire, and HUGE early steamship.

Ooooh, I must say that the _Gloire_ was truly awesome in size and features.
Lindsay did a great job on it!!

When we got kicked out of the building, we retired to a bar, at which
point I realized that I hadn't had food since lunch.

Hehe, on Sunday evening I realized that I had not eaten a thing since
breakfast, and then I went out and had two Wendy meals... lemme tell you, what
they say about "don't eat too fast" is all too true. Ouch.

We learned a lot about running the game (like it was a mistake to
only have one GM given the number of players Stephen had rounded up by
the time we were ready to start). There was also some confusion caused
by areas which the rules don't specify well (like dealing with aligators
on shore).

Yeah, the pace got quite slow by the time we swung into action. Although there
were enough "Arrrrgh"s to satisfy Steve Jackson himself, I'm sure! ;-)

I also only got out three merchant ships. Captain Scar (played by Shiri
Dori) tried to capture the first ship, but was handicapped by a wind
direction favorable to the merchant and her starting position and she
never caught up with it.

Hey, I stand firm on my belief that that ship changed speed every turn! It was
quite hard to predict it's movement. Arrgh. <grin>

A pair of people (at least one of which was an
AFOL spouse, I didn't quite catch if they were a couple, or both spouses
of other AFOLs) played captain Wanda and first mate Colin.

Andy Lynch and his SO, I think.

Personally, I thought the game was fun, albeit a bit slow. I'm glad you're
ttying to figure out how to make it go faster - that should make things much
more interesting!

Sunday morning was spent at the store. A good time was had by many
during the feeding frenzy over all the "scratch and dent" goods.

Ooooh, yes! Nothing beats standing under the doorway of the Store's stockroom
and getting all those lovely, half-off sets... Yoohoo!!
BTW, I thought the funniest thing was to see the writing right above that
door, it said... "unrestrained"... how appropriate. <grin, duck and run>

My parents weren't x-tremely happy with my big bags, but fitting seven sets
into the X-treme team box proved to be very handy. :-)

I then started to pack up, which took a while (and on two
separate "I'll check just one more time in case I missed something"
trips which found things I had missed [almost left my BSB and RSB and my
water tower]).

A few people thought that my checklist was a good idea. Knowing myself - the
absentminded person I am - I figured I should probably make one, so as not to
forget anything important. It worked quite well, the only thing I was missing
was my, ahem, wallet. (no, I didn't find it. Guess it *was* stolen. :-(  )

Unfortunately, our flight was delayed by four hours, so I stumbled into my
house at around 2 AM. Needless to say, I slept quite a bit... thank goodness
school is over (for the *year*, just for the *year*).

Eh, well, I had a great time!! It was *really* nice to meet you guys in
person, and to, as Rich said, "have your creations appreciated for the things
that should be appreciated".

-Shiri

P.S. I must condemn certain people knocking down certain other people while
the other people are in certain nameless costuemes. Grrr!!!