 Organizations / SciBrick / 268
Re: SciBrick is looking for you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:57:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.scibrick, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.org.scibrick, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   I think I might have required unique member ids on those tables too. The idea was to keep the number of columns in sb_m down, but maybe that’s not really necessary.

Depends how much space you need to save, I guess. If you’re using varchar’s or text fields (for profiles certainly), you’re only adding an extra... 2 bytes for a null entry? Forget if it’s 1 or 2. So maybe 18 bytes extra per member. I guess when it comes to stuff like that I rarely think about space requirements anymore :)

It was more a matter of keeping the table easier to read and deal with for things like just listing members, which doesn’t require a full bio and location, than of actually saving bytes.

   The zipcodes table is 40,000+ rows, while the world cities table is only a couple hundred rows. Doesn’t make much sense to combine them, since it would make it more difficult to add cities to the world table.

Yeah, there’s not terribly much benefit if you’re going to bounce the long/lat over to the member entry anyway-- Where it would make more sense is if you had something like:

   Member:
------------
member_id
location_id

Locations:
-------------
location_id
city
state
zipcode
country
longitude
latitude

Hence, if you ever wanted to crossref, say, an event with the location table, it’s all there in one table. But with the longitude latitude stored in the member entry, and the zipcode/worldcity tables more just for lookup purposes, it’s not as necessary.

The idea was to avoid lookups in those huge tables since we will never have nearly as many members as we have locations.
--Bram