 Organizations / SciBrick / 247
Re: SciBrick is looking for you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:34:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.scibrick, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   The third point is the real core of the whole thread. SciBrick seems more
   concerned with control and authority issues than with their actual • mission. Examine the self important rhetoric of the organizations “Communications
Officer”. I know his job title because he incorporated it into every other line of his postings. His emphasis is on two main points: The legitimacy of his authority, and why Mr. Sophi should retract his statement. The SciBrick Communications Officer discusses the source of his authority in great detail.
   He is more interested in validating his own authority and altering the
messages of others than he is in issue at hand.

I’m sorry, but perhaps I should be more clear here: I am setting up a very clear rationale for who has the ability to post advertisements and announcements about a particular group. I do, because I was elected to do so. Eric does not because he quit the group.

Obviously Eric’s post was inappropriate. Had you merely stated that Eric did not represent the organization. And, that all inquiries could be directed to SciBrick this may not have happened.

I am NOT trying to control any and all discussion about SciBrick. In fact, I am glad to see all of the opinions and points of view that this discussion has brought up. I’d like to see more. And I especially want to see Eric’s point of view.

But I want to protect the integrity of the organization I serve - and to do that, we need to control who makes official proclaimations about us. Every organization has this right. You never see their presidents coming down on someone, because, oddly enough, ILTCO, Classic-Castle, 1000steine.de, BrickLink, etc - have never been attacked like this.

The question you have to ask is why have they never been attacked like this?

   They don’t have rogue members who feel the need to use public channels to open up internal dirty laundry.

Eric may be an accelerant but you wouldn’t have a raging brush fire if SciBrick had tended to the dry brush near it’s home!

   I keep re-stating this, and it keeps being missed.. so, I’ll say it again:

I DO NOT WANT TO SHUT DOWN ANY LEGITIMATE DISCUSSION ABOUT SCIBRICK.

You shouldn’t want to shut down any discussion about SciBrick ! Legitimacy? Is that some toggle SciBrick has to turn free speech on and off as it suits their agenda?

   The only thing I ask is that no one pretend to represent the group when they do not.

Your roll here should be to clarify Eric’s involement or lack therof, not to strong arm a retraction. Maybe SciBrick would like to sue him for eliciting interest?

   Is that really so much to ask for?

No that definetely is not too much to ask for is it Eric?

He might consider changing his job title to Communications Commissar. Especially the way he likes to throw around words like “Empower” and “Authorize”. SciBrick might be better served by a communicator who is more like Lt Ohura (whose name means freedom!) and less like Herr. Gobles.

Remember both were LEGITIMATE! Don’t be seen as the latter!

   And like the President. These words, “empower” and “authorize” - mean responcibility and . I serve the will of the members of SciBrick - I am not imposing my will upon them, nor anyone else.

Furthermore, I use those words to describe why (you may have noticed) that the rest of the SciBrick members aren’t chiming in. They have asked me to speak on their behalf, and they trust me to do what is right.

Lenny I have the greatest personal respect for you, however I must address these issues here.

   I am trying to persuade Eric (granted, not very well) that what he is doing is hurting the organization he deems to support. And I ask him to stop. I firmly believe that these requests are well within the bounds of any organization to ask.

Is he? I remain unconvinced.

I know very little of SciBrick. I am unable to catalogue what is no doubt a long list of lasting and meaningful contributions to the greater Lego community. But my current impression of the agency has been formed largely by their duly elected and empowered Communications Officer. If he is any indicator of the nature of the agency as a whole, then the outlook is grim for the long term viability of the organization. I would send this message directly to the SciBrick Communications Commissar, but I might inadvertently violate the communication protocols of that agency, and be told to re-cant (perhaps by the lego pope).

My god.. do you really think that about me? WHY?!?! First you compare me to the Nazi Propaganda Minister, and then you say you’re afraid to contact me- when I have explicitly requested people to contact me!

I think he is referring to Frank Gobles (according to Google) Panamanian fishing adventures guide not Joseph Goebbles Nazi Propaganda Minister.

   What exactly have I done to offend you? And is it such that you just automatically disbelieve every word I’m typing now? Is there any way I could convince you that I am not interested in imposing an Iron Will on Lugnet, SciBrick or any organization?

This is really frustrating to me - because I am not trying to do the things you lowly accuse me of - and I don’t believe I have said anything that would make you believe that, unless you blatantly decided to disregard what I’m saying. This is like the charge of “elitism” earlier in the thread - if you accuse us, is there anything we do to prove ourselves innocent? Even Kevin and my testimonials to the opposite are used as evidence of said elitism. Once someone has pointed the finger at us, whether right or wrong, it must be true. When Kevin says there’s no elitist attitudes in .spacers in one sentence and follows up with who is Mr. Mantor and when did anyone start caring what he thinks in the next it is easy to support such a position!

   Well, I am not being a Nazi. I am not an elitist. I am not part of a club that actively seeks to exclude people. If you think I am, please explain why.

I was excluded Lenny. I was encouraged to become involved with SciBrick at Brickfest PDX by Joe meno and youself. I was invited to join via e-mail from Joe Meno and replied within 1-2 weeks. And, yet was not added to the roster or contacted again.

   -Lenny