 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 548
Re: Proposed building areas - land grab time!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:57:50 GMT

Bryan Wong wrote:
Just to let you guys know, I have a reasonable supply of curved, straight,
T- and cross road green baseplates (listed in decreasing order).  I have
none in grey.

Good. the cross and T plates are the most useful because none of us have a lot of them. Stick your name on the back and
bring 'em along.

Am I correct in assuming that the baseplates at 103-105 will be the airport
runway?

Keeerect

I've been looking at the building plan and comparing it to "Building
Layout.jpg."  I'd love to build a mountain, but looking at the jpg, it
appears that the mountain will span 3 green baseplates.  So am I to whip out
3 baseplates, and start building?  Also, it will have the monorail cutting
through it.  Now the problem is, how do I build a mountain without knowing
what space to leave for the monorail?

Good question. Give that man a peanut :-)
Seriously, do you have any monorail track that you can lay in place and see where it will be? Are you  near enough
anyone who does to get some? (Robin?). There's also a slight questionmark over the layout there: Robin suggested a while
back that we run the road into the mountain (a tunnel mouth) and that would give us an extra baseplate for building
room. I'll do that on a TD layout and try and jpeg it too (not a single-step simple process unfortunately, it's grab two
screens and paste together).

I'd also like to take a shot a building the monorail station + airport
(Fine, I'll open my MISB Century Skyway)... But one baseplate seems small!
Once again, how do I fit in the monorail tracks?

It's two baseplates really - the airport terminal and monorail stn are one building, with the stn inside the upper level
at one end, with a glass wall to the north and west side (so teh audience can see it) and an opening on the E side big
enough for a hand to reach in and switch the reverser switch on the monorail. The monorail has to be 1 large support
girder plus 2 bricks high for train clearance. AGain, to do that you really need the monorail track in hand so that you
can build it in.

Another question, how big are Dean's oil tanks?

Dunno. Dean?

Building X is not too difficult.  But building X, and requiring X to fit
with Y and Z is difficult when you don't have Y and Z there with you!
Argh, this is tougher than I thought.  But we'll figure something out!

Hehe. You noticed!

I think we might need a few "dress-rehearsals" before the Saturday we set
up.  If we try to fit everything together on Saturday, that might be too late.

We're planning to meet Fri night before the Sat, at the usual place, and have a dry run. Especially concentrating on
tables (eg fitting Dean's table legs onto your folding table), track (train and monorail) and buildings which have to
fit over/round tracks. That gives us Sat morning and Sat evening for frantic building to fill gaps or refit stuff :-)

Kevin
Personal Lego Web page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kwilson_tccs/lego.html
City Park: Limited edition kit http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-park.htm
Craftsman Kits & Custom Lego models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com