 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 541
Re: Building organisation methods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:03:27 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Robin Sather wrote:
I think we should be able to do it the same way we did the rest of the
layout, the baseplates especially.  Once the layout is finalized with
track and baseplates, we have very clearly defined areas of studs
available to put stuff.

For any building that is already created, either MOC or Lego kit, we
know its exact dimensions and can position it exactly where we want
it, showing its exact relative size and shape.  From there, we'll know
exactly how much room is available, and can restrict new models to
those dimensions, placing them where they're going to be in the model.

So Robin, what you're saying is that we should build buidings for
specific exact places on the layout, eg a space 26x18 studs (just for
teh sake of an example). I guess that means someone building it on a
baseplate at home, peeling the baseplate off the bottom and sitting it
in place on the layout, then doing exterior accessories (gardens etc) in
situ. Is that what you're envisaging?

That would certainly allow us to pack the most onto the layout but I do
have reservations... I think it reduces our flexibility to rearrange
things if what we've planned doesn't look right when we set it up (and I
think that is likely to happen) and it's awkward building-wise. Means a
lot of accessorising needs to be done during the setup too.

Maybe we could take "chunks" of baseplate real estate (which might cover
1 or 2 or 1 1/2 32x32 baseplates) and get one person to handle the whole
chunk, including building over joins and exterior accessories.

I think that would be best. I know I don't want my Lego lumped in with
everyone elses. (Unless there is a specific list of parts etc. like I need
to do for my duel track crossing...) I'm trying to fit out a good layout for
my twin fuel tanks and having a hell of a time getting it to fit on one base
plate with a curve road...

Where do we want the tanks?
I also want to make a small pump house on the grounds...

Dean

What does everyone think? We need to settle this and get building!

--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html