 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 529
Re: Track Plan - final version?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 07:57:55 GMT

Excellent idea, but in my mind's eye, I see a whole lot more buildings
and layout than what you've represented in "Building layout.jpg".
Also, I don't think we have to stick so religiously to the square
baseplate structure.  Perhaps you've intended this, and are only
showing the general "zoning" of the space.  If so, ignore the rest of
this post  ;-).

My feelings on this are mixed. In my own towns I squeeze as much in as
possible by building across baseplate joins and forward into teh sidewalks.
Here though, we're going to have different people building stuff to slot
into a place on the layout, and I'm not sure how you can do that except if
they use a baseplate (or half, or quarter) each. How do you suggest doing
that Robin?

I'm always thinking of the aesthetic before the function, I suppose.
I think we should be able to do it the same way we did the rest of the
layout, the baseplates especially.  Once the layout is finalized with
track and baseplates, we have very clearly defined areas of studs
available to put stuff.

For any building that is already created, either MOC or Lego kit, we
know its exact dimensions and can position it exactly where we want
it, showing its exact relative size and shape.  From there, we'll know
exactly how much room is available, and can restrict new models to
those dimensions, placing them where they're going to be in the model.

Working with Train Designer, there are a few problems, of course.  We
cannot create custom sized objects, as far as I know.  There must be a
way, but at this point I don't know it.  So it will be cumbersome to
represent these using TD.  It also ignores (visually anyway) the third
dimension of height,  as you pointed out with the Club Car and the
monorail track.  We'll have to be extra careful in that regard.  It
would also be extremely handy to be able to add text and other objects
directly to the the layout instead of having to convert it to a jpg,
etc.

Robin