 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10206
Re: scan time....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:28:01 GMT

ok, listen up poser!

:)

Brian Davis wrote:

Chris Magno wrote:

At 35 seconds to scan the board, I get 5 seconds per scanned
square.

what am I missing?

   Well, first, you're missing the fact that I am a poser of the worst kind,
sitting here thinking about how I could do it better While Not Actually Entering
Anything Of My Own (can you tell this bothers me?). This is the primary thing.
The most important thing. The thing which actually sets me apart from people who
are actually *DOING* something. But I digress...

...35 seconds to scan the board.

...with 42 cells on the board

   I was thinking more along the lines of how many cells change state between
turns, and where those cells are located on the grid. As a simple example, in
the first turn I don't need to check the top row of cells. In short, there's
only ever 7 cells I need to scan per turn... and usually, I won't need to even
scan that many.
   Or am *I* missing something here?

no, your not missing anything.  as I've said in other posts I pick some arbitrary
"yard stick" to taunt the rest of rtl into building robots.

its along the lines of...

"... if Chris can build a scanner in a day an scan in 35 seconds then ~I~ can do way
better than that."

sort of like If I was a loser and built sumo bots... I'd go around bragging that my
k-bot 3456 can push 8lb of books across my shag carpet...

then you can retort with, "...well my robot can push 13lb of lead across the
asphalt"

then Calum would pipe in with...

"..BAH, 13lb is nothing, I have a robot that would pull a honda accord 13 blocks"

then Steve H jumps in with

"well robot #14 of my 230 entrants can sing the national anthem AND push a mac truck
UP the side of the empire state building"

oh, and he ask about some niggling little rule, like

"if my robot uses extra rare hydrogen powered AA fuel cells to give my motors EXTRA
strength.. is that allowed?

then he'd quote from some arbitrary list of rules that Calum made up off the top of
his head one night while drunk......

:)

:)
:)
:)

(I think that last little bit needs a few of these  :) )

As I pointed out, I'm a perfect target for
directed fire here... I'm not entering a C$ robot, Steve can tell you how poorly
even my Sumo robots do, and I'm an American to boot

sorry to hear that... you seem like such a cool guy.

(although I really really
like Roots sweatshirts, if that helps, & "Jane St.Claire" is a favorite song of
mine).

as a POINTLESS bit of trivia, the song is VERY loosely based on a store at a real
location near Jane St. and St. Clair Ave.

near where I grew up.

Chris

my mom got me a Bionicle for X-mas.

:)