 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10198
Re: scan time....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:10:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian Davis wrote:
   Well, first, you're missing the fact that I am a poser of the worst kind,
sitting here thinking about how I could do it better While Not Actually

Well, that's as good as I'm doing.  Anyways, many people participate in
rtlToronto after they've watched one or two contests.

directed fire here... I'm not entering a C$ robot, Steve can tell you how poorly
even my Sumo robots do, and I'm an American to boot (although I really really

Okay, if you're near Steve, you've got to find a way to get up here.  I mean,
even he makes the 10 hour trek.

like Roots sweatshirts, if that helps, & "Jane St.Claire" is a favorite song of
mine).

Damn.  You seemed like a nice guy up until that line.  There's your mistake.  Referring to a post "Gordon" Barenaked Ladies song, directly referencing Toronto.   That's as bad as saying your favourite Dave Matthews album is "Everyday"...

First off, everyone in Toronto HATES the Barenaked Ladies.  We moved on to and
gave up on Corky and the Juice Pigs, the Arrogant Worms, and those true posers,
Moxy Fruvous.  (Too bad Jian Ghomeshi didn't die a sad death like Moxy Fruvous
did.  He's on CBC every night now.*)  We all hate BNL because they sold out and
went Stateside.  Now that everyone and their ClearChannel listening brother has
heard of BNL, us Canadians can't stand'em, sort of like Shania.  Or Celine.

But, just in case you need to make a reference to the a BNL song (BTW, the song
I think is called "Jane") rewind back to when June Rowlands banned BNL from
Nathan Phillips Square...

a) First, you need to make a reference to a Gordon or "Yellow Tape" BNL tune.   Try like their wacky 1991 cover of "Fight the Power", but not the 1993 Coneheads soundtrack version, the one from the original yellow indie tape.  This is pre-betrayal BNL, and really the only two albums anyone in Canada owns.

b) If you're going to find a Canadian city reference, aim for something more
obscure.  Like the Barrington Street line in "Hello City", about Halifax.  Or
the Danforth references from "The Old Apartment".  (Admittedly the latter is
from a more recent BNL song.)

c) If confronted by a Canadian on your favourite BNL track, say it's the "Lovers
in a Dangerous Time" cover they did of Bruce Cockburn (Pronounced Co-burn) and
of course, if anyone digs further, it's not about communist rebels, it's about
Bruce watching his kids play.  Serious.  Look it up.  You'll fit in perfectly.

And no one cares about Roots anymore.  Not since they sold out and did that US
Olympic Team thing.  Yuck.  Roots hasn't been relevant since...I dunno, when I
was in high school.

Calum
PS-alright Mario, come raining tzatziki on me...

* admittedly the lyric "Who's the beard?  It's Robertson Davies!" is pretty damn
hilarious.