 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10196
Re: scan time....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:57:01 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:

At 35 seconds to scan the board, I get 5 seconds per scanned
square.

what am I missing?

   Well, first, you're missing the fact that I am a poser of the worst kind,
sitting here thinking about how I could do it better While Not Actually Entering
Anything Of My Own (can you tell this bothers me?). This is the primary thing.
The most important thing. The thing which actually sets me apart from people who
are actually *DOING* something. But I digress...

...35 seconds to scan the board.

...with 42 cells on the board

   I was thinking more along the lines of how many cells change state between
turns, and where those cells are located on the grid. As a simple example, in
the first turn I don't need to check the top row of cells. In short, there's
only ever 7 cells I need to scan per turn... and usually, I won't need to even
scan that many.
   Or am *I* missing something here? As I pointed out, I'm a perfect target for
directed fire here... I'm not entering a C$ robot, Steve can tell you how poorly
even my Sumo robots do, and I'm an American to boot (although I really really
like Roots sweatshirts, if that helps, & "Jane St.Claire" is a favorite song of
mine).

--
Brian Davis