 Off-Topic / Fun / 2272
Re: spamcake collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:20:35 GMT

That algorithm won't find the following (because "spamcake" appears two lines
later not one line later):

   http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=2186

or the following (because "spamcake" appears in the rare alternate form
"spampucks"):

   http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=2188

I'd like to also point out that you aren't matching the string "when replying".
Perhaps that would be more reliable. Tom started doing the spamcake sigs around
the third week of April 1999, and I haven't yet found a post-April-18 message
that didn't have "when replying". You could special case the third week of
April and use the "when replying" test for everything since then.

- Robert Munafo, reeling pretty darn geeky right now

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
[...]
My rules for filtering spamcake are roughly:

If it's after a line which contains "Tom McD" as two distinct words,
   and the next line isn't a quoted line but does contain "spamcake",
     remember that line and,
     append following lines until the signature is termindated by one of:
       a blank line
       a quoted line
       a header line
     upon line termination, add line to clump of saved lines

When we're done, print out the clump of saved lines
[...]