 Off-Topic / Fun / 2252
Re: Uber-Galic question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:31:05 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I'm caving in -- I'm gonna do it!  :-,
Go Jeremy Go!!!

:-D

I've tried them after they've soaked two days.  There was something elusive
as I put the first chunk into my mouth.  I could feel the diaphanous aura of
the pickle as it crunched, followed by a blissfully eerie state of otherness
as it slid down my gullet.  No -- wait.  That's my mouth and esophagus
bursing into flame.

Uber-Garlic Notes:

Before chopping the pickle spears, remove one from the jar and eat it on the
spot.  You'll never fit it back in the jar anyway.  You might be able to do
this instead of removing a half-cup of vinegar; I'll experiment and let
y'all know.  ;-)

Don't skimp on the peppers.  With only 2 jalepenos and 1 Serrano (1), but
with 12 cloves of garlic, the pickle is not yet too hot but the garlic is
almost overpowering.  There's definitely something about the garlic and
vinegar that helps nullify the hotness of the peppers.

Don't sample a pickle until after at least three days, unless you're not
terribly hip on flavor.

Unless you're a real wimp (read: you absolutely limit yourself to ultra-mild
salsa) don't chase the pickle with anything but another pickle.  The
mouth-burning will dissipate rather quickly, and the garlic aftertaste will
sneak up on you.  This aftertaste is the reason for the Uber-Garlic Pickle's
being; don't waste it.

It's okay to pick off the pepper seeds before chomping down on a pickle.

Um, don't rub your eyes while chopping peppers, and don't play leap-frog
with a unicorn!  :-,

Truly, a totally awesome junk food.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  I wimped out, true -- but I learned my lesson!

--
Jeremy H. Sproat <jsproat@io.com>
http://www.io.com/~jsproat