 Off-Topic / Fun / 2207
Re: Uber-Galic question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:11:19 GMT

Tom McDonald wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Tom McDonald wrote:
It's the almost religious following that "To
Dream the Impossible Dream" brings, that makes the play icky for such a
cynical goob as I.
Sometimes that pie-in-the-sky stuff leaves me on an emotional Cloud 9/I-Can- • Do-
Anything high, but that all comes crashing down after the show when me and • 743
other people are all trying to leave the parking lot at once.

Which leads me to question the value of such songs.  I mean, let's be
realistic.  Impossible dreams are impossible.  Dreaming impossible dreams
never got anyone anywhere; work and research and really huge grants have.

I need to find someone who'll give me a really huge grant for studying Lego
bricks. Or my navel, that'd work too.

What's that?!  Hugh Grant gave up acting to study Lego bricks or to join the navy?

This is new to me.  Within the past couple'a weeks, I've heard references • to
Al Gore "inventing" the Internet.
The references are true. I remember driving home a few months ago and • hearing
this on the radio and laughing when I thought of all the years of hacking • that
geeks worldwide have done to make this possible, and he steps in at the last
minute and takes a bow.

When did he step in and take a bow?  What should I search for in the news
sites?

Can't remember the exact month and date. This is one of things you remember
but don't want to remember, so details are beyond my recall. After all is said
than done (I know what I meant :) it really is useless trivia, just like the
rest of his accomplishments as VP.

Oh, wait.  Is this that @&!@# "Information SUperhighway" trash from eight
years ago?  What became of that, in practical terms?

Yes. The name "internet" was not as widely known 8 years ago, so in practical
terms the "ISH" (which was just something to call the 'net before a real name
caught on) mutated into it. The market itself has done more to shape 'net
itself. He claims to have made it possible for such a fast change in how many
folks are now on the 'net. Funding for such change was all part of the
nebulous "Gore Tax" started on your phone bill awhile back, which has
incredibly poor and nebulous justification, if any. I don't recall it being
any easier for *me* to get on the 'net because of him. Bill Gates made it
easier than Al Gore did. :P

Was there any actual
government aid that actually helped?

Two rather unpopular but well-known government aids were used: death and
taxes. Taxes for schools, and death - the death of my bank account.

Darth Maul Lives
Who is this "Darth Maul" person I keep hearing about?

I'm just waiting for Darth Mugging, Darth Implosia, and Darth Impala.  The
last two would look way cool in their evil dark Sith-style halter tops.

Only two there are..

??!!  Tom, really, family newsgroup, remember?;-)

Ooh!  Ooh!  Ooh!  Lightsabre-whips!

You need to take a break from that faq for awhile.

-Tom McD.
when replying, where I is the common point or base current in amperes, and R
is the common point or base resistance in spamcake.