 Off-Topic / Fun / 2187
Re: Uber-Galic question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:58:07 GMT

Tom McDonald wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Nonono -- with all that pepper and vinegar and...stuff, it's overly gall-ic,
as in the fashion of that bladder.
Ewwww. Bladder as in haggis? Not that again...

Gall bladder.  For tiny haggis.

You know, I've never seen that.  Neither have I read the book.  (1)  Is it
any good?
I can't say objectively. I had to do the play in high school. I was the
doctor, but I caught the flu just a day before we performed (grrrr...)

Is this a case of "Physician, conceal thyself"...?

Actually, what a bad question about a play.  I've just seen a bad _Pirates
of Penzance_, but it's still a good play.
Never seen that. I don't do well around musicals (sorry James Brown). Though I
did get to see the _King and I_ with Yul way back when.

POP is different.  Quite.  Gilbert and Sullivan are lyrical geniuses.  And
the show's a hoot, too.  Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, and Angela Landsbury
delivered stellar vocal performances in the 1983 Broadway production; it's
available on video.  Highly recommended.

My brother was in a good _Man of
La Mancha_, but it's one of the silliest scripts I've ever seen...
Yes it is. The play seems almost to make fun of itself which, if done right,
makes for almost decent entertainment (or am I stating the obvious?)

Oh, I liked that part of it.  It's the almost religious following that "To
Dream the Impossible Dream" brings, that makes the play icky for such a
cynical goob as I.

when replying, something to remember at the polls this time around: if Al Gore
invented the internet, then we need to credit him with inventing spamcake.

This is new to me.  Within the past couple'a weeks, I've heard references to
Al Gore "inventing" the Internet.  What gives?  Did he actually lay claim to
that dubious title?  Did Tipper put him up to it as part of some dark,
fascist ploy?

Cheers,
- jsproat

--