 Off-Topic / Fun / 2270
Re: spamcake collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:43:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
<FEzILx.C5I@lugnet.com> <378FB99F.F46CAB87@io.com> • <FEzKnJ.F9n@lugnet.com>

Tom McDonald wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I'm not sure this will get all of them.  It does introduce some non-sig
text.
How much? too much to throw out manually?

Hardly any at all with the latest incantation. (1)

Hmm (with an empty stare). Consider that spamcake directives never have
parentheses surrounding them (but I've put some parenthetical lines after my
name a few times), and my name always starts with a hyphen first as in, -Tom
McD., which would make a good starting point to look for the spamcake.

This is basically my strategy.  I'm assuming that the text "Tom McD" will
appear as two distinct words only in your sig block; exceptions should be
few and far between.  Note that this will only work with messages authored
by Tom McDonald as input -- If you included this message in the input,
you'll get some bogus output because of this silly text:

Tom McD
I'm not a spamcake sig!

My rules for filtering spamcake are roughly:

If it's after a line which contains "Tom McD" as two distinct words,
   and the next line isn't a quoted line but does contain "spamcake",
     remember that line and,
     append following lines until the signature is termindated by one of:
       a blank line
       a quoted line
       a header line
     upon line termination, add line to clump of saved lines

When we're done, print out the clump of saved lines

What about a footnote? I've used those too. Usually they are formatted, "(1)
foo blah glorp".

Also that I don't know/can't run Perl, unless there's some way I can • download
a free editor/environment somewhere, so I can't do it myself unless I write
some other code in Borland ObjectPal (which I don't like all that much, and
which no one else here seems to know; perhaps coincidentally :-). I guess • I'm
willing to learn Perl though, especially since it seems to be web-friendly.

Forget my pandering. Doesn't have to be free.

I say learn Perl.  But if you want, I can also toss you my spamcake.out
file...

That would work.

1.  Leter incantations are available only on lugnet.off-topic.geek

I don't do incantations anymore. The last time I did one, I botched it and I
ended up folding in upon myself until I disappeared.

It took me weeks to get out of that...

-Tom McD.
Darth Roscoe Lives.
when replying, try the latest fitness rage: Tai-Spamcake.