 Off-Topic / Fun / 2203
Re: Uber-Galic question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:11:20 GMT

Tom McDonald wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.pun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
POP is different.  Quite.  Gilbert and Sullivan are lyrical geniuses.
I have seen a G&S production (can't remember the name of it though - it had
the "modern Major-General" song in it) and yes, the lyrics were great and
quite witty.

That's the one.

It's the almost religious following that "To
Dream the Impossible Dream" brings, that makes the play icky for such a
cynical goob as I.
Sometimes that pie-in-the-sky stuff leaves me on an emotional Cloud 9/I-Can-Do-
Anything high, but that all comes crashing down after the show when me and 743
other people are all trying to leave the parking lot at once.

Which leads me to question the value of such songs.  I mean, let's be
realistic.  Impossible dreams are impossible.  Dreaming impossible dreams
never got anyone anywhere; work and research and really huge grants have.

This is new to me.  Within the past couple'a weeks, I've heard references to
Al Gore "inventing" the Internet.
The references are true. I remember driving home a few months ago and hearing
this on the radio and laughing when I thought of all the years of hacking that
geeks worldwide have done to make this possible, and he steps in at the last
minute and takes a bow.

When did he step in and take a bow?  What should I search for in the news
sites?

Oh, wait.  Is this that @&!@# "Information SUperhighway" trash from eight
years ago?  What became of that, in practical terms?  Was there any actual
government aid that actually helped?

Darth Maul Lives
Who is this "Darth Maul" person I keep hearing about?

I'm just waiting for Darth Mugging, Darth Implosia, and Darth Impala.  The
last two would look way cool in their evil dark Sith-style halter tops.

Ooh!  Ooh!  Ooh!  Lightsabre-whips!

Cheers,
- jsproat

--