 Off-Topic / Fun / 2188
Re: Uber-Galic question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:58:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.pun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Tom McDonald wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Nonono -- with all that pepper and vinegar and...stuff, it's overly gall-
ic,
as in the fashion of that bladder.
Ewwww. Bladder as in haggis? Not that again...

Gall bladder.  For tiny haggis.

Hors d'oeuvre d' haggis with the tacky cellophaned toothpicks right next to
the Uber-Gaelic pickles. Now there's a study in gastronomy.

You know, I've never seen that.  Neither have I read the book.  (1)  Is it
any good?
I can't say objectively. I had to do the play in high school. I was the
doctor, but I caught the flu just a day before we performed (grrrr...)

Is this a case of "Physician, conceal thyself"...?

hehe  I had gone to the trouble of getting props our school didn't have: a lab
coat, lenseless glasses, stethoscope, black bag, illegible signature, etc.

Never seen that. I don't do well around musicals (sorry James Brown). >> • Though I
did get to see the _King and I_ with Yul way back when.

POP is different.  Quite.  Gilbert and Sullivan are lyrical geniuses.  And
the show's a hoot, too.  Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, and Angela Landsbury
delivered stellar vocal performances in the 1983 Broadway production; it's
available on video.  Highly recommended.

I have seen a G&S production (can't remember the name of it though - it had
the "modern Major-General" song in it) and yes, the lyrics were great and
quite witty. I just don't get into the sappy stuff. Whenever that happens I
start thinking, "I could be home right now playing with space lego thinking of
a way to make another kick-butt black 2-man attack cruiser".

My brother was in a good _Man of
La Mancha_, but it's one of the silliest scripts I've ever seen...
Yes it is. The play seems almost to make fun of itself which, if done right,
makes for almost decent entertainment (or am I stating the obvious?)

Oh, I liked that part of it.  It's the almost religious following that "To
Dream the Impossible Dream" brings, that makes the play icky for such a
cynical goob as I.

Sometimes that pie-in-the-sky stuff leaves me on an emotional Cloud 9/I-Can-Do-
Anything high, but that all comes crashing down after the show when me and 743
other people are all trying to leave the parking lot at once.

when replying, something to remember at the polls this time around: if Al
Gore
invented the internet, then we need to credit him with inventing spamcake.

This is new to me.  Within the past couple'a weeks, I've heard references to
Al Gore "inventing" the Internet.

The references are true. I remember driving home a few months ago and hearing
this on the radio and laughing when I thought of all the years of hacking that
geeks worldwide have done to make this possible, and he steps in at the last
minute and takes a bow. That issue alone is enough to make me never vote for
the guy (which I have never done anyway).

What gives?  Did he actually lay claim to
that dubious title?

Difficult to say for certain if he's formally accepted it, but I certainly
can't see him turning the title down. I do remember the Hillbilly W-Hopper
singing his praises one day and that's one of the things that came out. Plus,
some of Al's toadies were talking about it on the talking head shows too.

Did Tipper put him up to it as part of some dark,
fascist ploy?

She's too busy making sure the marketplace is "safe for the children".

Darth Maul Lives
Who is this "Darth Maul" person I keep hearing about?

-Tom McD.
when replying, some of history's earlier hockey games used spampucks.