 Off-Topic / Debate / 9954
Re: Toys used to be so much better
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:57:32 GMT

The fully poseable figures we're introduced very early, I think
mine we're torpedo and blow torchand you'd be hard pressed to find such a
well articulated figure today.

Actually, although it isn't off-topic, I think that Lego Technic figures do an
excellent job at articulation.  One thing I never liked about G.I. Joe figures
(the small ones,anyway) was that although they were posable, there feet didn't
move, so they would only stand in a limited number of positions; Lego Technic
figures have a number of positions they can keep while standing.  I've also
always liked generic figures; it leaves more to the imagination.  As for
accessories and vehicles, well, they're pretty much limited by the imagination.
I know this might be getting away from the issue at hand, but I am really into
posability; It's been somewhat of an obsession of mine.  Toys today are really
lacking in this area.  I think that stumbling upon a box of Technic action
figures a few years ago actually rekindled my interest in Lego; I just wish
they would make Throwbots (and Bionicle, for that matter) more poseable as
well.

But let's not forget how much a child's imagination can fill in.  Sure, the
original Star Wars action figures were sort of dorky, but I had countless hours
of fun with them (and judging by how much they're fetching these days, I wasn't
the only one).  I remember being able to entertain myself with no more than a
Lego minifig at times.

Anyway, too many kids are sucked into advanced computer graphics of video games
to be concerned with how posable or durable some action figure is.

Christopher