 Off-Topic / Debate / 9930
Re: Toys used to be so much better
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 21:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article GBFr0t.AyK@lugnet.com, Aaron West wrote:

Look here:

http://www.justbetoys.com/transformer/index.html

Hasbro plans to release these transformers in the USA this fall, accompanied
by a cartoon.

<SNIP>
Transformers still suck.
Captain West, LSF Ertbergle

Well, that Super Fire Convoy sure looks a lot more complex and poseable than
my Optimus Prime ever was.

Why do you say that they suck?

~1st Lieutenant, Fleebnork Division Muffin Head

Well, I dunno, I guess I was getting too much into the spirit of "inciting
to riot" since the post was here in .off-topic.debate.  You know, can't be
here unless you take up an intellectual position stating a contray point.
"No, no you came here for an arguement," as Mr. John Cleese might say.  I
admit that MANY OF MY TRANSFORMERS WERE REEEAAAAL COOL, but Hasbro just
never captured the spirit of the original concept after so many lines
released.  Okay, so maybe the don't all suck.  Just those d**med ones that
granny and grampy got me for X-Mas are the true fuel for my hatred.  ALL my
original series ones still function, and the reason I gravitated more to
Robotech/Macross was that they had more realism and I know a bunch of SWAP
meet dealers that imported the Japan versions for 40%-60% less than the USA
packaged ones.  So, yes they should have been more expensive, but I got
Alpha fighters for $10, Valkeries for $5, Cyclones for $4 to $15 and (not
related!) Voltron with all da shootin' stuff for $20.  So that was skewing
my perception as a kid.
I was laying on too broad an accusation of "suck".  Perhaps I should have
looked for the names and release dates relating to "suck.  But, I tell you,
Beast Wars *all* suck (to me).
Every now and again I suppose I was laying a "Transformers Suck" message
here and there whenever mentioned, just to start this very topic up.  So
perhaps I have become a bit of a troll!  I apologize if I have annoyed
anybody with silliness, just having a emotional response to my (sniff)
spoiled X-Mas of sooo long ago.
Maybe that's why I still buy toys, trying to fill that void created by the
robot with a broken arm...
Warning!!  Psycho-babble alert!!  Must stop typing!!!
-Aaron-