 Off-Topic / Debate / 9949
Re: Toys used to be so much better
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:05:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Bliss writes:

You know, you're completely right.  I remember, back in the 1980's, feeling
really bad for kids, because they couldn't get any decent-sized action
figures, all they had were the superheroed/pro-wrestlerized, tiny GI JOE
figures, instead of the 12-inch, sturdy, fully articulated, GI JOE figures.
With all the cool gear - the space capsule, and safari jeep, etc, etc.

You've got me all wrong, I wrote:

We also had the brilliant Zoids, SMALL GI JOE's and a whole multitude of
brilliant vehicles (Known as Action Force here in the UK).

I never had any 12 inch ACTION MEN (in the UK), I'm slightly too young, I
was around just at the right time for the introduction of the small figures
and their brilliant vehicles. They we're exactly the right size. The 12
inch'ers are far to big. How do you even play with them? In the small scale
the vehicles were just the right size for the hand so you could move the
good vehicle with your left and return fire from the bad vehicle in your
right hand. The fully poseable figures we're introduced very early, I think
mine we're torpedo and blow torchand you'd be hard pressed to find such a
well articulated figure today. Later on even the necks had a full range of
movement better than the left to right you get on a twelve inch.

I'd also like to say I fully agree with Mark Sandlin. And his observetaion
of the vehicles becoming more and more silly was spot-on.

Steve Lane.

Oh and one last thing, it was the interaction between comic and toy that
really made Action Force(GI Joe) my favourite, even over transformers.