 Off-Topic / Debate / 9933
Re: Toys used to be so much better
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 04:28:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Lane writes:
I feel sorry for todays kids, not only have lego sets become less
interesting and more childish, toys in general arn't as good. Where are the
classics available during my childhood. Decent transformers that turn into
cars, not the stupid bugs that deserved to be squished and the decent comics
to back them up with a credible story enabling you to re-enact it with your
toys or imagine your own side story. We also had the brilliant Zoids, small
GI JOE's and a whole multitude of brilliant vehicles (Known as Action Force
here in the UK). Todays kids are saddled with Pokemon, Digimon and heaven
forbid Bionicle :-). At least Star Wars is still keeping it's end up even if
George Lucas isn't. It's about time Zoids made a come back, there are
numerous similarite's between zoids and pokemon except Zoids are good.
Pokemon is a fad well past it's sell by date.

Steve Lane

It's funny - although I completely agree with you, my grandfather used to say
the same things about my toys.

Did you ever have the all die-cast metal Mazinger figures?  Those things were
beautiful!  I also loved my die-cast metal Star Wars toys.  And I agree - Zoids
were da Bomb!  As for Transformers - although I have about 100 sitting in a box
somewhere, everything that came after the Dinobots ans Insecticons sucked!

As for today, I really like the Evangelion figures around.  They're
super-posable and made out of pretty good plastic.  But where has all the
die-cast metal gone?  Can you imagine how cool a partially die-cast metal
Gundam toy would be?

Sometimes I wonder how I can be so obsessed with metal toys, and still be super
obsessed with Lego.....

Christopher