 Off-Topic / Debate / 9943
Re: Toys used to be so much better
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:42:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steven Lane wrote:

I feel sorry for todays kids, not only have lego sets become less
interesting and more childish, toys in general arn't as good. Where are the
classics available during my childhood. Decent transformers that turn into
cars, not the stupid bugs that deserved to be squished and the decent comics
to back them up with a credible story enabling you to re-enact it with your
toys or imagine your own side story. We also had the brilliant Zoids, small
GI JOE's and a whole multitude of brilliant vehicles (Known as Action Force
here in the UK). Todays kids are saddled with Pokemon, Digimon and heaven
forbid Bionicle :-). At least Star Wars is still keeping it's end up even if
George Lucas isn't. It's about time Zoids made a come back, there are
numerous similarite's between zoids and pokemon except Zoids are good.
Pokemon is a fad well past it's sell by date.

You know, you're completely right.  I remember, back in the 1980's, feeling
really bad for kids, because they couldn't get any decent-sized action
figures, all they had were the superheroed/pro-wrestlerized, tiny GI JOE
figures, instead of the 12-inch, sturdy, fully articulated, GI JOE figures.
With all the cool gear - the space capsule, and safari jeep, etc, etc.

Sure, the Kung Fu grip thing was stupid -- a couple months after your
birthday, you wound up with a fingerless GI JOE.  But at least you had a
toy you could *play* with, instead of just setting up like chessmen.

;)

Steve