 Off-Topic / Debate / 6178
Re: Mecha Legs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:20:50 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Shaun Sullivan writes:
(snipped)

Well said. But I'd like to voice a different opinion on the whole issue.

This whole thread originated when Mladen offered a sneak peak at his current
mecha project, and Rob asked Mladen if he could use "a scaled down version of
those legs" in an otherwise original creation.

Mladen did not initially offer permission. As I understand, his reasons were
primarily the bulk of such requests received, the faux pas of making such a
request in an open forum, rather than directly through e-mail (this ettiquette
is news to me), and the fact that Mladen's project was still in progress.

Mladen's decision was widely and vehemently criticized.

Mladen's responses included insults.

I'm not going to bother talking much about harshly toned newsgroup posts,
since repetative posts are just as inappropriate. But if you're not sure about
the tone of a post, take it into a work processing program and scatter
emoticons all over it ( :) ). If it doesn't seem so bad anymore, let it go.
Being offended at the drop of a hat isn't very constructive either.

Back to the point: I think the question of theft vs. inspiration was not
adequately addressed. With Lego as with art, music, technology, or whatever,
there's a pretty vague differentiation.

If Rob's plans were to take Mladen's mecha legs, and put them onto a mecha
body, with no modification or reinterpretation, then I don't think this would
advance any sort of creative dialogue. Rob would not become a better builder
through the process, and the online Lego audience would not have a new source
of inspiration (at least not concerning legs). The only "benefit" received
would be that Rob's model would look superb to those unaware of the original
legs, and fiercely derivative to those who were aware. Some of you may have
different building philosophies, but I would not be comfortable making a model
in this way.

And perhaps Rob would not be comfortable with that either: he spoke only of
using "a scaled down version." And as you all know (especially you nanofig-
scale folk), scaling stuff down with Lego requires a degree of ingenuity. So
perhaps Rob was talking more about the creation of an influenced model, rather
than a copied one. And we've all done that - recreated general forms, copied
specific combinations of a few pieces, copied color schemes. It'd be difficult
to condemn that sort of thing without being hypocritical.

So my take on it is this: if someone looked at Mladen's mech legs and
thought "I never thought of using forklift prongs for toes! I'll have to try
that on my next project," then that's cool. Mladen has inspired someone, and
we can all benefit from the results. But if someone takes off the top half of
Mladen's mech, throws on their own cockpit, and calls it their creation, then
no one gains anything, and I wouldn't blame Mladen for feeling disgruntled at
the bastardization of the model that he so prouldly displayed for us.

On another note, I think it's kind of funny that people praised Rob for asking
permission (good), and then blast Mladen for denying that permission. What
does it mean to ask, if there can be only one answer?

Josh