 Publishing / 2194
Re: Mecha Legs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:01:59 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Matthew Miller writes:
Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:

Exactly right. Further the copyright is by default! That is, you have to
disclaim it to immediately put something in the public domain. And I
believe in the US, at least, an explicit assertion is not required,
although it helps protect your rights by building awareness.

The proper form of the assertion is to put the first AND the last year that
you worked on the work or its predecessors, as of when it was published.

It also should have the © symbol.

Um, check on that?  IANAL* but I have heard that the c-in-a-circle is not
a good substitute for writing out thw word 'copyright'.  I could be
misremembering, however - it may have been using (c) (like, in a plan text
file) that was not equivalent...