 Off-Topic / Debate / 6152
Re: Mecha Legs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 02:46:38 GMT

This certainly is an appropriate display of courtesy, especially given the
sensitive and occasionally nebulous nature of online copyright issues.  What
is the prevailing wisdom regarding reverse-engineering of online models?

I've got a bit of experience on this general topic, as I also get many, many
emails every week from people asking me if they can use my Pallas Spaceworks
designs.  I am also rather sensitive about this topic, because I am an
Industrial Designer, and Pallas Spaceworks is part of my professional
portfolio.

I have a few general guidelines that I use to determine what to tell people:

Q) The person wants to use some new building technique or minor feature of my
design.
A) Certainly... that's why I post my ideas, with DAT files. Asking permission
before-hand & a link or mention/credit is appreciated, but not strictly
demanded.

Q) The person wants to customize one of my designs, or base a new design in
part or wholly on one of my designs in an obvious way.
A) Generally yes, especially if they ask nicely ;) I request that the person
gives either me or Pallas Spaceworks credit for the original design, and I
appreciate a link.

Q) The person wants to use one of my designs as-is on their website
A) Provisionally yes, according to the following rules:

  1) Pallas Spaceworks or Karim Nassar (me) recieves due credit on each web
page where a Pallas Spaceworks design is used (with or without a link).
  2) No renderings, images, or other graphics from Pallas Spaceworks can be
used. All artwork on the Pallas Spaceworks site is original copyrighted
material owned exclusively by Karim Nassar (with one exception, Ben :), but we
both know which ones those are).
  3) No text from Pallas Spaceworks is used beyond what is necessary to convey
the model name and basic premise of the model and its inclusion within your
site. All text on the Pallas Spaceworks site is copyrighted material owned
exclusively by Karim Nassar.
  4) The license-for-use expressed in these rules is non-exclusive and
non-transferable, and revocable at any time at the discretion of Karim Nassar.

In general, I'm usually very generous with license, and if you ask, I'll let
you.  I get VERY upset when people post my models & designs without asking (has
happened once that I know of), and if someone were to try to pass off my
designs as their own... I've got a lawyer I can call.

There have been cases where I came up with a partial design that was so cool
that I didn't want anybody else to "finish" it before I got a chance to (the
hull structure of the 9000 series ships comes to mind).  In those cases, I
simply exercise my limited self-discipline, and don't post any descriptions or
images of the design until I'm satisfied with my exploration of the technique.

And, yes, I'm still alive... barely.  I've been following the list off and
on... everybody's been doing great work here.  I've been really impressed with
all the cool designs.

I still owe everyone a Pallas Spaceworks update. Soon. I promise...

--Karim