 Off-Topic / Debate / 6139
6138  |  6140
Subject:
Copyrights and IP (was Re: Mecha Legs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 18:52:34 GMT

I'm fascinated by all of this, because I know almost nothing about the • subject!

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes of his quite cool design:

I also license the purchaser to make additional copies for their own use,
which is only fair, I think. (although I could consider giving a discount for
multiple copies, it's too hard for me to collect the parts to want to • discount
it much)

Isn't there some law allowing a consumer to copy a CD or tape for his/her
own use as long as that copy isn't sold or used for public broadcast?  If so,
is that law analogous in any way to a purchaser making multiple copies of the
set you designed?  (Not being adversarial--I really have no idea.)

I'm not sure either... But I don't think that's quite correct. if I buy a CD,
I don't think I have the right to have it playing in both my car and my house
at the same time. I could be wrong though. I'm pretty sure it's NOT true for
books. You only have the right to the original and if you copy it you're
supposed to destroy the original and you don't have rights to put it in
electronic form even if you DO destroy the original. Or at least that's what
the boilerplate in most books asserts. Whether it's enforcable would be a
different question. I dunno. IANAL, and I've never played on on TV either.

Note that Will M. (who *is* a lawyer) over in .people more or less said to
disbelieve everything everyone said about copyrights so far in this thread.
Good advice in general. (1)

Seriously, I agree. If it's really an issue, consult an IP lawyer. I'm willing
to take the risk here because I think I'm pretty close to right, and because
the consequences of being wrong are pretty small. (well, except for the 25K
worth of sets I haven't parted out yet, anyway, and that I'd have to eat)

Also seriously, if anyone has a big problem with my general line of reasoning
in the post Dave's post references, I'd sure like to hear about it... (either
from a factual/correctness standpoint or because you think I'm taking a
weenieish stance, even if justified legally)

1 - however it's incorrect when applied to my pronouncements, because as
everyone knows, I don't make misteaks... :-)... also he said it before I
pontificated so I'm OK, right? :-)

++Lar