 Off-Topic / Debate / 6129
Re: Mecha Legs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:36:14 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Mladen Pejic writes:
<CLAPPING> Beautiful, nicely worded James!

I let James use my models, because he has the decency to first ask me before
he does anything, if he could actually USE my model. Then, when he put it on
his wonderfully organized and cool website, he includes my FULL name and
website link.

This certainly is an appropriate display of courtesy, especially given the
sensitive and occasionally nebulous nature of online copyright issues.  What
is the prevailing wisdom regarding reverse-engineering of online models?

I think it's at the very least considered polite to give credit. I'm not sure
there's prevailing wisdom, per se. My black hopper, currently available at my
brickbay site ( <grin> ), has been reverse engineered in the past. I'm not
particularly pleased about it but I considered that I published information
about it and that the information I published would possibly enable people to
do that and that was an acceptable risk/outcome...

Now if someone tried to market a hopper and pass it off as their own work when
it clearly was copying mine, I'd use as much public opinion as I could muster
against them. I haven't read this particular slugfest (nor do I want to) but
it seems one party is alleging that other people are copying his work and
passing it off as their own. That's not good.