 Off-Topic / Debate / 6177
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:28:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

The middlemen, however, would raise hell ;-)

You're right Tom, we sure would.

It doesn't sound like you're a middleman from your description.

I'm from Iowa, and 18.
Now, if you start
growing meat in a lab somewhere, that's gonna put lots of hard working farmers
out of business, as well as affect the rest of farm economy.

So?  Which members of society is it that you imagine to owe you a living?  You,
and all people, can change with the times or be left behind.  We have VMS
admins at work who are not retooling their skill set and I think they're going
to be in trouble in five years.  Same for farmers who can't change what they
do.  Maybe it's sad when you read about it, but it's just the way the world
works.

Also, how do you think "test tube" beef would taste?

How would we (you, I, or anyone else) have any idea?  It might be the best
thing ever, and it might suck.  If it sucks, it won't sell and beef producers
have nothing to fear.  If it's better than the 'real' thing, then all the
consumers have gained something.  It's a win-win situation.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd
much prefer that what I eat was at one time a whole animal.

Just to be sure that more pain was cause in the world?  ;-)

That way I know how it was (or should have been)

Yes...should have been...but often not?

cared for, and that there's no deadly diseases.

But sometimes there are.

Most diseases that affect cows AND people kill the cows, or are
very evident, so the tainted meat never enters the market.

Could be.  Oh well.

Now, how are we gonna know when the test tube beef is bad?

When it tests as bad?

I'm sure they've got all sorts of
nice little chemical tests and injection things to insure that it stays
healthy,

Do you hate science?  I took several Ag courses at university (welding, ag
hydraulics, grapes and wines, plant science) and ran into a whole bunch of
'farm boys' who seemed to be somehow against science (nevermind that
agriculture has been a huge patron of science and one of the largest
beneficiaries too).  What gives?  (By the way, I'm not trying for this to be a
baseless accusation, I'm genuinely asking.  If it doesn't apply to you and you
have no idea what I'm talking about, just say so.)

but no test beats seeing a living, breathing, healthy animal.

Really?  How exactly do you know that?

Chris (The Missourian trapped out east)