 Off-Topic / Debate / 6174
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Me too.  That's just super cool, and the technology required would lead to • all
kinds of innovation.  My fear, however, is that we've already harnessed the
best way to produce meat and there is little economic incentive to produce • it
in vats.

Oh, I REALLY doubt that.  Vat-grown meat could be tailored with a specific fat
content, and be basically ready to eat right out of the vat - the cutting into
"steaks" could be roboticized (or the meat could be grown in "steak" shaped • chunks,
or grown in extruded "steak" shapes continuously and chopped off in • thicknesses to
order).  The economics would hopefully quickly make it worth it, as the • farmers
could sell wrapped meat to the grocer (or direct over the Internet/phone, of
course), cutting out several middlemen steps.

The middlemen, however, would raise hell ;-)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/

You're right Tom, we sure would.  I'm from Iowa, and 18.  Although my family
doesn't raise cattle, it IS one of the main sources of income for this entire
state.  Three things:  corn, soybeans, and cattle.  Now, if you go to most
restaurants anywhere, you will see a sign or something that says "Cornfed Iowa
Beef".  That's because Iowa has the best tasting and textured beef in the US.
My own opinion, yes, but also 90% of the population's.  Now, if you start
growing meat in a lab somewhere, that's gonna put lots of hard working farmers
out of business, as well as affect the rest of farm economy.  Also, how do you
think "test tube" beef would taste?  I don't know about anyone else, but I'd
much prefer that what I eat was at one time a whole animal.  That way I know
how it was (or should have been) cared for, and that there's no deadly
diseases.  Most diseases that affect cows AND people kill the cows, or are
very evident, so the tainted meat never enters the market.  Now, how are we
gonna know when the test tube beef is bad?  I'm sure they've got all sorts of
nice little chemical tests and injection things to insure that it stays
healthy, but no test beats seeing a living, breathing, healthy animal.  Just 2
cents from an Iowa farmboy.
-Chris