 Off-Topic / Debate / 6175
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:51:13 GMT

From: "Xcalabur" <Xcalabur@rocketmail.com>

You're right Tom, we sure would.  I'm from Iowa, and 18.  Although my family
doesn't raise cattle, it IS one of the main sources of income for this entire
state.  Three things:  corn, soybeans, and cattle.  Now, if you go to most
restaurants anywhere, you will see a sign or something that says "Cornfed Iowa
Beef".  That's because Iowa has the best tasting and textured beef in the US.
My own opinion, yes, but also 90% of the population's.  Now, if you start
growing meat in a lab somewhere, that's gonna put lots of hard working farmers
out of business, as well as affect the rest of farm economy.  Also, how do you
think "test tube" beef would taste?  I don't know about anyone else, but I'd
much prefer that what I eat was at one time a whole animal.  That way I know
how it was (or should have been) cared for, and that there's no deadly
diseases.  Most diseases that affect cows AND people kill the cows, or are
very evident, so the tainted meat never enters the market.  Now, how are we
gonna know when the test tube beef is bad?  I'm sure they've got all sorts of
nice little chemical tests and injection things to insure that it stays
healthy, but no test beats seeing a living, breathing, healthy animal.  Just 2
cents from an Iowa farmboy.
-Chris

I understand your points about the agricultural economy, and I understand
about the aesthetic differences, but I think you have the disease equation
bass-ackwards.

In a lab, the meat could be kept 99.999% disease-free. Beef that's released
into the market today is nowhere near that.  There are many diseases and
bacteria that could be present in meat that you just don't see in a
seemingly healthy animal.

~Mark

--
Mark's Lego Creations