 Off-Topic / Debate / 6173
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:32:49 GMT

Me too.  That's just super cool, and the technology required would lead to all
kinds of innovation.  My fear, however, is that we've already harnessed the
best way to produce meat and there is little economic incentive to produce it
in vats.

Oh, I REALLY doubt that.  Vat-grown meat could be tailored with a specific fat
content, and be basically ready to eat right out of the vat - the cutting into
"steaks" could be roboticized (or the meat could be grown in "steak" shaped chunks,
or grown in extruded "steak" shapes continuously and chopped off in thicknesses to
order).  The economics would hopefully quickly make it worth it, as the farmers
could sell wrapped meat to the grocer (or direct over the Internet/phone, of
course), cutting out several middlemen steps.

The middlemen, however, would raise hell ;-)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/