 Off-Topic / Debate / 6172
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:16:11 GMT

From: "Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net>

Lighten up Chris; I was being facetious.  I'm actually greatly intrigued by
the notion of vat-grown food, as well as its implications for organ
production
for transplantation.

Me too.  That's just super cool, and the technology required would lead to all
kinds of innovation.  My fear, however, is that we've already harnessed the
best way to produce meat and there is little economic incentive to produce it
in vats.

Chris

Perhaps not... think about all that's required to maintain, for instance,
Beef production. You need lots and lots of land, you need to keep your
cattle healthy, feed them, move them about, etc. If someone were to come up
with a relatively inexpensive method of vat-growing meat, it could be done
virtually anywhere. You could very nearly eliminate the disease factor, and
the transportation costs would come down as well, since you wouldn't need to
move the meat about.

I know I'm simplifying the matter greatly, but I'm sure there are many costs
that go into Beef production that aren't readily visible to us on the
consumer level.

I don't even want to get into the moral stuff, so let's skip that, shall we?

~Mark

--
Mark's Lego Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego