 Off-Topic / Debate / 2192
Re: Fair Auction? (Was Re: Honest Capitalism)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:12:14 GMT

followups set to .debate

Richard Franks wrote:

<snipped interesting, (but IMHO unworkable) scheme>

John Neal said:
You *can't* make life more fair.  We are all different.  That is good, not
bad.

Yes, and we are also all equal, even though we aren't treated equally.

I disagree. We are all unique, and therefore different, and therefore
unequal, practically speaking. Now, it was the intent of our Founding
Fathers (in the US) that we have equal rights. But equal rights does NOT
mean we're the same. Some of us are smarter, some of us are hansomer,
some of us work harder, some of us are more persistent. Equal rights
does NOT mean equal outcomes.

And that's as it should be.

Is a person being born blind not fair?  How can you make their life more fair?

You can give them some independance with a guide dog, you can provide
wheelchairs for those who can't walk by themselves. Or am I missing the point
entirely? It's late and also probable!

Who is "you" in this context? The government?

lugnet.