 General / 7449
Re: Honest Capitalism (Was Re: DYA -> eBay 8880 money-making scheme)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:13:14 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

Well... in an/my ideal world(tm), everyone would get a fair share for each set,
at or near its retail value. Theoretically we could do this using a
Lugnet-based selling system that would favour a person who didn't already have
that set. And in an ideal world that person wouldn't turn around and sell it
for a huge markup on EBay.

I am really amazed by your post.  Ideal world?  Don't you mean "heaven" because
*nothing* like that will *ever* exist here on earth!  Please think through what
you are saying.  Nobody sells things on Ebay "marked up".  It is an *auction*.
Whoever wants it the most will get it--  how can that be anymore fair?  Are you
just bitter because there are others who want something more than you?  Grow up!

You could get around that by making Lugnet members enter into a legal
obligation not to resell Lugnet-sold sets, use Lugnet as a hub, and ID the box
somehow. There are lots of issues with this, feasibility, personal rights etc,
but it would mean that I could afford that 6277 I've always dreampt of,
mutilated box or not :)  Oh - and it would be fair!

This is total and complete nonsense.  If you *really* want a 6277, go the distance
man!  But puleeze remember this:  LIFE ISN'T FAIR period.  Don't try to impose
some insane system to try and make it that way!

-John