 Marketplace / Theory / 218
Re: Fair Auction? (Was Re: Honest Capitalism)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:39:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:

If there is no benefit to sellers, who is going to participate?
You can set up whatever scheme you want but unless there is motivation,
you're going to have a lot of buyers but no sellers.

This is true, which is why I think a statutory 5-10% profit should be standard
on such a system. That way sellers won't lose money, but they also won't feel
guilty or profiteering by making a small amount.

The way the proposed system works is that you start of with a small amount of
credit, but have to auction items on the system to recieve more credit.
Therefore you wouldn't have the problem of lots of buyers but no sellers.

I know I certainly
would not sell for less than the most the market is willing to bear,
except in certain rare cases, to buyers that I don't already have some
non monetary relationship with.

This is true for a lot of people, and for a lot of people this is because the
money they make from selling profitable items they put back into their own
hobby, which requires buying over-priced items. The question is that if people
could buy the sets they desire by spending less real money, would they feel the
need to auction their sets for a profit?

Assuming internet usage continues to expand, then in a few years, instead of 10
people bidding on an item, there will be 20, then 50, then 100 etc. What will
happen to the prices then?

Richard