 General / 7504
Re: Honest Capitalism (Was Re: DYA -> eBay 8880 money-making scheme)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:11:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, John Neal writes:

Richard Franks wrote:

Well... in an/my ideal world(tm), everyone would get a fair share for each
set, at or near its retail value. Theoretically we could do this using a
Lugnet-based selling system that would favour a person who didn't already
have that set. And in an ideal world that person wouldn't turn around and
sell it for a huge markup on EBay.

I am really amazed by your post.  Ideal world?  Don't you mean "heaven"
because *nothing* like that will *ever* exist here on earth!

a) I made it obvious that it was a description of *my* idea of an ideal system.
b) I pointedly described some of the problems with this.
c) The first step towards making something better is to know where you want to
   go. If you believe that it is "heaven" then please don't begrudge one post
   that pondered how to get there. I don't believe that it is impossible,
   unlikely perhaps, but I don't see why I shouldn't think about it.

Please think through what you are saying.  Nobody sells things on Ebay "marked
up".  It is an *auction*. Whoever wants it the most will get it--  how can
that be anymore fair?

Whoever has the most money. That is intrinsically not fair. That is my opinion.

Are you just bitter because there are others who want something more than
you?

No. Am I bitter because others have more money than I do - No.
Do we have a different definition of fair - Yes.

Grow up!

!

You could get around that by making Lugnet members enter into a legal
obligation not to resell Lugnet-sold sets, use Lugnet as a hub, and ID the
box somehow. There are lots of issues with this, feasibility, personal
rights  etc, but it would mean that I could afford that 6277 I've always
dreampt of, mutilated box or not :)  Oh - and it would be fair!

This is total and complete nonsense.  If you *really* want a 6277, go the
distance man!

This isn't almost about me wanting a 6277, or any other set.

But puleeze remember this:  LIFE ISN'T FAIR period.

Do you seriously believe that it isn't worth trying to make things more fair?
Even if at first you believe that it isn't possible?

Don't try to impose some insane system to try and make it that way!

a) It was a work of imagination, put onto Lugnet so that others could consider
   it. Nowhere did I say it *should* be done, or try to impose it.
b) If you think that it is insane, then please suggest ways to improve. But
   please respect my opinions and feelings, and I will respect yours.

Richard