 Off-Topic / Debate / 2207
Re: Fair Auction? (Was Re: Honest Capitalism)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:46:41 GMT

   I think you should propose this idea to TLG.
   I think its a great idea ;-)

--
   Have fun!
   John
Richard Franks wrote in message ...
In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Richard Franks wrote:

<snipped interesting, (but IMHO unworkable) scheme>

Do you think that it is unworkable because of a problem with the auction
mechanics, or because too many people believe too strongly in Capitalism?

John Neal said:
You *can't* make life more fair.  We are all different.  That is good, • not
bad.

Yes, and we are also all equal, even though we aren't treated equally.

I disagree. We are all unique, and therefore different, and therefore
unequal, practically speaking. Now, it was the intent of our Founding
Fathers (in the US) that we have equal rights. But equal rights does NOT
mean we're the same. Some of us are smarter, some of us are hansomer,
some of us work harder, some of us are more persistent. Equal rights
does NOT mean equal outcomes.

I agree.
Equal rights implies that at some level we are equal, that we deserve the • same
opportunities to achieve the same outcomes. Sometimes in 'the real world' • this
isn't possible or practical, but in terms of a fairer distribution of Lego, • it
is possible.

And that's as it should be.

That's how it is, but I think the debate about whether it should be that • way in
the 'real world', has been probably overdone to a crisp.

I'm more interested in why people think that Lego-Distribution has to be so
tied in with real-world capitalism. Would a system like the one proposed
benefit a broader range of Lego-Fans than current high-profit auctions? If • the
answer is possibly, or yes.. then would there be any harm implementing it?

Is a person being born blind not fair?  How can you make their life • more
fair?

You can give them some independance with a guide dog, you can provide
wheelchairs for those who can't walk by themselves. Or am I missing the
point entirely? It's late and also probable!

Who is "you" in this context? The government?

I'd assume some form of community based will, or upwards towards • government.

Richard