 Marketplace / Theory / 199
Re: Honest Capitalism (Was Re: DYA -> eBay 8880 money-making scheme)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:27:12 GMT

<snipped .general from the list of newsgroups>

In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, John Neal writes:
Please think through what you are saying.  Nobody sells things on Ebay
"marked up".  It is an *auction*. Whoever wants it the most will get it--
how can that be anymore fair?

Whoever has the most money. That is intrinsically not fair. That is my
opinion.

I admire your position, and agree with (both of) you on several points.
However, I think you're suggesting a fix to the wrong end of the system, Frank.
The fact that an auction goes to whoever spends the most money on it(1), is
not what is unfair about it.  It is in fact fairer(2) than most systems.
What I think (extrapolating from your comments) you have a problem with is
that the distribution of money is unfair.  Which is to say that some people
have money who have not earned it, and some people who have earned it, do not
have it.

Fix the underlying problem, not the symptom.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1: Because our (western) society uses money as the primary indicator of value,
it stands to reason that whoever spends the most on something wants it the
most.  Making an auction system fair, q.e.d.
2: Is that a word?