 Marketplace / Theory / 195
Re: Honest Capitalism (Was Re: DYA -> eBay 8880 money-making scheme)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:16:52 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

I think that was my point really - that until DYA finds 3 dozen more
Metroliners that they had in storage and forgot about (or whatever rare set),
then selling that for a high mark-up is profiteering and not providing a
service to Lego Fans. The latter sounds more justification that reason. But if
you are a firm believer in Capitalism, then that isn't something to be ashamed
about :)

Yes they are!  If it were not for DYA, I would have paid $300 for an
8880,
because I want the set.  Is that a fair price?  of course it is, because
in an auction
the value of the object is defined by the closing price.

Well... in an/my ideal world(tm), everyone would get a fair share for each set,
at or near its retail value. Theoretically we could do this using a
Lugnet-based selling system that would favour a person who didn't already have
that set. And in an ideal world that person wouldn't turn around and sell it
for a huge markup on EBay.

What if a buyer has more $$$ and wants the set, but already has 5.
Isn't he entitled
to pay as much as necessary to procure the set?

You could get around that by making Lugnet members enter into a legal
obligation not to resell Lugnet-sold sets, use Lugnet as a hub, and ID the box
somehow. There are lots of issues with this, feasibility, personal rights etc,
but it would mean that I could afford that 6277 I've always dreampt of,
mutilated box or not :)  Oh - and it would be fair!

I doubt that would be enforcable.  I also doubt anyone would
participate, just in case
it is.

You still had responsibility because you knew that the prices would go to a
similarly high level, otherwise you would have started the bids at cost. As a
Lego Fan, by "take responsibility" I mean to make sure that the sets go to the
people that want them, at cost, adding 5-10% profit if you wish. You can do
this by randomly picking x people that responded within a certain time limit.

In western society we define the people that "really want" somehting as
the people
who are willing to pay for it.  Auctions in particular ensure that the
items
go directly to the person that "wanted" it the most.

KL