 Marketplace / Theory / 203
Re: Honest Capitalism (Was Re: DYA -> eBay 8880 money-making scheme)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:08:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Loch writes:

I think that was my point really - that until DYA finds 3 dozen more
Metroliners that they had in storage and forgot about (or whatever rare
set), then selling that for a high mark-up is profiteering and not providing
a service to Lego Fans.

Yes they are!  If it were not for DYA, I would have paid $300 for an
8880, because I want the set.  Is that a fair price?  of course it is, because
in an auction the value of the object is defined by the closing price.

I agree that it is a fair price for you. Maybe my last line should have read
"..not providing a service to *all* Lego Fans." As that includes those that
aren't able to afford winning an auction.

What if a buyer has more $$$ and wants the set, but already has 5.
Isn't he entitled to pay as much as necessary to procure the set?

Entitled.. in a Capitalistic sense yes. And without the 'Holy Grail' method of
'fair' Lego set distribution, it's a simple enough way to do it.

You could get around that by making Lugnet members enter into a legal
obligation not to resell Lugnet-sold sets, use Lugnet as a hub, and ID the
box somehow. There are lots of issues with this, feasibility, personal
rights etc, but it would mean that I could afford that 6277 I've always
dreampt of, mutilated box or not :)  Oh - and it would be fair!

I doubt that would be enforcable.  I also doubt anyone would
participate, just in case it is.

You have a point - it would be too much to obligate everyone into running a
non-profiteering auction. Although it still would be nice to have a system
where people had the option to pass on sets at a reasonable price without the
other person turning around and selling them for a profit. A system where the
sets go to those who want to play with them, rather than a system where the
sets go to those who are able to pay the most for them.

Richard