 Marketplace / Theory / 202
Re: Kmart sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:03:34 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Timothy Carl Buchheim wrote:

Kmart is having a sale on all LEGO products this week.  Buy any set and
get another set of equal or lesser value at half price.

I bought a 1200 brick tub [$20] and a 650 piece red bucket (the one with
two yellow baseplates and a green wizard hat) [$20] for $30. :)

The La Verne, California location had about four of the 1298 Advent
Calendar sets for sale, if anyone in the area is looking for one.

A couple notes on this sale. They apparently realized that the way they
did the buy 1 get a 2nd 50% off the wrong way before (the way they did
it before, the computer rung up all the items, and then gave you 50% off
the cheapest sets). The way it's done now, the clerk has to push a
"coupon" button. This then takes 50% off the item just rung up. I think
they are prompted that this is a "coupon" item, because the clerk at one
store wasn't aware of the details of the sale, but she had applied the
sale price, and then wanted to check out why it was so low. Also another
clerk at the same store rang up the 50% off price during a price check.

The result of this is that you MAY get 50% off ALL your purchases. This
is a nicer system because it means you don't have to have the clerk ring
up several separate purchases of all the items of the same cost, but
adds a lot of confusion, and requires the clerk understand the sale.

Yes, as a matter of fact, this is exactly what happened to me.  I was at a
SuperKmart at 3am Sunday, and bought a bunch of sets, and she rang them ALL up
at 50% off, because she scanned each one, and it showed the 50% off, but then
when it went to print on the receipt, went to full price.  So she manually
marked each set down.  She realized most of the way through the sale that she
was doing it wrong, but I guess she decided it wasn't worth it to void the
sale, because she finished up the sale.  Luckily, she realized at the point
where there was only 4 polybags left ;-)  I don't feel guilty about this at
ALL, because she did realize she was doing it wrong and continued anyways, and
I was ready to pay the proper price.  And I got it all on ONE receipt, even
though I was ready to ring it up as 6+ separate purchases.

Too bad I didn't grab more sets ;-)

On another bright note, there was a box of Sebulba's pod racer on the shelf,
and I couldn't find the rest of the Pod Race set (I did find one, but it was
complete and sealed).  I looked EVERYWHERE for the rest of the set (because I
would have bought 2 copies, but they only had the one complete one) with no
luck.  So I took the box up with me, and she didn't know what to do with it.
Since it was the same physical size as another $10.49 set (this Kmart had
marked all their sets 5% higher than other Kmarts), she rang it up at
$10.49...plus 50% off.  WOOHOO!  All that orange for $5.24!