 Marketplace / Shopping / 704
Re: Kmart sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:13:53 GMT

Timothy Carl Buchheim wrote:

Kmart is having a sale on all LEGO products this week.  Buy any set and
get another set of equal or lesser value at half price.

I bought a 1200 brick tub [$20] and a 650 piece red bucket (the one with
two yellow baseplates and a green wizard hat) [$20] for $30. :)

The La Verne, California location had about four of the 1298 Advent
Calendar sets for sale, if anyone in the area is looking for one.

A couple notes on this sale. They apparently realized that the way they
did the buy 1 get a 2nd 50% off the wrong way before (the way they did
it before, the computer rung up all the items, and then gave you 50% off
the cheapest sets). The way it's done now, the clerk has to push a
"coupon" button. This then takes 50% off the item just rung up. I think
they are prompted that this is a "coupon" item, because the clerk at one
store wasn't aware of the details of the sale, but she had applied the
sale price, and then wanted to check out why it was so low. Also another
clerk at the same store rang up the 50% off price during a price check.

The result of this is that you MAY get 50% off ALL your purchases. This
is a nicer system because it means you don't have to have the clerk ring
up several separate purchases of all the items of the same cost, but
adds a lot of confusion, and requires the clerk understand the sale.

In my opinion, they would be better off just announcing a 25% sale on
all LEGO, but then as an AFOL, I would end up buying the same either
way. Actually, I might buy more, I wouldn't be concerned about the
hassle of ringing up different value items. The only way they would get
an AFOL to buy more with the buy one get a 2nd at 50% off is if the AFOL
was planning on buying a single item regardless of the sale, and who
then decides that a 2nd set of the same or lower price is worth buying
because it's 50% off. Of the non AFOL market, it may not actually have
that much effect on total purchase, I can see mom deciding to buy two
$10 sets for her kid for $15 instead of a single $20 set (as opposed to
K-Mart hoping mom will spend a total of $30). Of course the kid there
with her weekly allowance isn't going to spend more because of the sale
either. On the other hand, people will come to K-Mart instead of Walmart
or TRU because of the sale, even though they end up only buying a single
set.

Followups to lugnet.market.theory for any discussion of sale incentives.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com