 General / 7513
Re: Honest Capitalism (Was Re: DYA -> eBay 8880 money-making scheme)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:18:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:

<snip>

As a
Lego Fan, by "take responsibility" I mean to make sure that the sets go to the
people that want them, at cost, adding 5-10% profit if you wish. You can do
this by randomly picking x people that responded within a certain time limit.

Note that this isn't a moral judgement - I'm not saying that you should do
that, or that you are wrong by not doing it. Personally I'd rather just make
someone happy - it'd stop being such a fun hobby if I was trying to make money
out of it. That's just my decision though and I awknowledge that yours is just
as valid.

<snip>

Richard

Your ideas are close to those of John Cotton, a 16th century preacher who
believed in the free market -and- helping the fellow man - at the same time.
You might enjoy reading some of his sermon notes.  I also agree with some of
his philosphy.  This is in part why, for instance, I sell parts in private
auctions rather than on eBay.  I could make much more money on ebay, but why
would I want to do that?  Our parts auctions make us enough money to skim the
parts we want, and give us the funds to buy the parts for the next auction.  We
don't expect or want much more than that out of a hobby.

Naji