 Off-Topic / Debate / 2191
Re: Voluntary, private discrimination (Was: Disparicies in Sentencing)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:06:58 GMT

Naji Norder wrote:

I've read and heard so much about soldiers being able to "kill without thought"
that I can't agree with this completely.  If you don't have any morals, then
you might not have to "hate" to kill.

Just to clarify, I was speaking of just citizenry, and everyday life. The
military and soldiers is a totally different arena. The military trains you not
to feel "bad" about killing people, it is one of your duties, if you are ordered
so.

I'm not implying, of course, that people
who don't mind killing others should get away with it.  I'm just saying that
some crimes might not involve hate.

I am just saying "hate crimes" are totally wrong headed. Punish the crime, not
the thoughts.

Also, if a soldier can be trained to do
it, then anyone might do it.

Of course.

I'm not a fan of the thought police myself.  Consider this: there has been much
debate about banning the burning of the US flag.  However, in all of this, they
never mention that it is and would continue to be fine to burn it in retirement
ceremonies.  I've been to those myself in Boy Scouts.  We all gather around a
great pyre, and salute a flag that has served its duty well, as it is burned.
After all, the only two ways to properly dispose of a flag is to burn it or
bury it.  This is why I can't agree with any "flag burning" amendment.  If you
can burn it out of respect, but it is made illegal to burn it out of contempt,
then you are being prosecuted based on your thoughts.

I don't like anyone burning the flag, but it is a first amendment issue, and one
I feel, cannot be held up. It is unconstitutional to ban burning it. I know how
veterans are distressed, I would be as well, but there will always be
malcontents in society, one thing I have learned to deal with.

There has been news recently of a few Native Americans charged in a hate crime
of killing a white person.  Not exactly what you are speaking about, but close.

Interesting. You don't here that on the news, I can't imagine why (a left-wing
bias, perhaps?) I still think it is bad law. Prosecute them as murderers, not
illogical thinkers! I think racism is very ignorant, but if you want to think
that way, that's your problem. If you act on it, be prepared to face the
consequences!

Naji

--
Scott E. Sanburn
CADD Operator, CADD Systems Administrator

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/index.html
Lego Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/legoindex.html

“The more people I meet, the more I like my Lego collection.”