 Local / United Kingdom / 765
Re: All UK Groups subscribed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 23:20:24 GMT

*SY* wrote:
I had a quick look at your list.  Todd, you are using an old map!  Some of those
counties you listed were "rationalised" (unitarised?) a couple of years back.
For example, Humberside no longer exist... the southern part was (re-) joined
with Lincolnshire.  The Yorkshire part of Humberside was made into East
Yorkshire.  Another example is (I think) that County Durham and Cleveland have
merged (or is that the other way around?)

I haven't checked it that closely - I wouldn't be surprised though!

Anyway, the current Labour government is/has suggested that England (as opposed
to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) be split into about 10 regions (erm...
I got this from an April copy of "The Economist", I think).  Well, in no
particular order, these are: North East, North West, Yorkshire, South East,
Eastern, London, East Midlands, West Midlands, South West and , uh,...Western?
The map was quite small, and my knowledge of the south is patchy, but iirc, for
example:

I've being trying to find this information everywhere as this is my idea
for the loc. groups.

Eastern grouped together the East Anglian counties of Norfolk, Suffolk,
Cambridgeshire and Essex (I think)
The Yorkshire region consisted of all 4 Yorkshire counties (N,S,E,W)
North East region is the area north of Yorkshire all the way up to Tyneside and
the Scottish border
Etc. etc.

Right, much get more information on this.

To simplify the loc.uk groups, it would be nice if these regions were taken into
account, though I'd say that you'd better group the entire south east, from
King's Lynn to Kent and west up the Thames valley in one group :)

I reckon we have these 10 regional governments and then Scotland, Wales
and Northern Ireland, I'm not sure what to do about the islands yet.
Also a lugnet.loc.eu - we are all part of the EU.

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170