 Local / United Kingdom / 684
Re: All UK Groups subscribed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:45:19 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 09:06:51 GMT, "Simon Robinson"
<simon.robinson@sdxplc.com> wrote:

Yeah - but I think it is a bit different in the US. I've only been to
the USA once - and I don't know if other people have found the same thing
- so tell me if anyone else disagrees...
but one of the overwhelming things I found in the USA was it didn't
feel like one country in the same way the UK does - because it was so big.
I remember watching the news - and stuff from the another State seemed
like it was another country. It was more comparable to watching the news
in Britain and seeing a report about something in France or Holland.

I dunno. I guess it depends on where you have relatives and how
well-traveled in the US you are. I have family in both South Carolina
and Texas -- and I am in Washington (state) -- so I don't feel that
either Texas OR SOuth Carolina is unbearably far away. OTOH, Maryland
and Washington DC feel like they don't belong to the same nation that
I do sometimes. (and sometimes I wish that what I felt was really
true.)

Sarah Heacock
sarah@eskimo.com